Installing R and RStudio
If you acquired a computer from this year’s SCI offering, you will already have R and RStudio installed. If you have a computer with an older version installed, you should upgrade to the latest version.
It is important to install R before installing R Studio. Please follow the instructions on the appropriate video below.
- Install video for mac OS (link is external)
- Install video for Windows (link is external) (just the first 3 mins).
When you are done you can run RStudio from your Apps folder (Mac) or programs menu (Windows).
If you have difficulty with either of these two steps, the Solutions Center, located in Frist, should be able to help. See the Tech Clinic(link is external).
Learning the Basics of R
Useful tutorials for beginners:
- Software Carpentry course on R (link is external)
- The COMPASS Workshops (link is external) (Computing for Data Analysis in the Social Sciences)
- DataCamp Tutorial(link is external)
- Additional Software Carpentry courses (link is external) (and videos)
Students interested in completing further courses on DataCamp should contact Michael Guerzhoy. A limited number of free six-month licenses for DataCamp is available to CSML students pursuing independent studies in data science, courtesy of DataCamp.