Please note: This class has no pre-requisites and is open to students with little or no prior programming or statistics experience. It is offered both semesters.
Introduction to Data Science provides a practical introduction to the burgeoning field of data science. Upon completion of the course, students will have essential tools for conducting research involving dataset analysis.
Among other skills, students will learn how to:
- Work with a variety of real datasets
- Write computer code to extract information and hidden patterns in data
- Draw conclusions using sound statistical reasoning
- Produce scientific reports based on real data
- Use basic data analysis techniques such as stratification, classification, and regression
The world is increasingly data driven. Students will find this class to be a challenging intellectual journey and a practical way to gain an edge in their college research; in preparing their Junior Projects and Senior Theses; in competing for top internships; and in preparing for their lives after graduation.
The archived course webpage for the Spring 2019 offering is here. Note that the course changes and evolves over time.
The waitlist for the Spring 2020 offering is here. All applications received before 11:59 a.m. on Dec. 14, 2019 will have equal priority. Applications received after that time will be processed on a first come-first served basis. The waitlist is currently closed.